Social Justice: A Movement Not a Moment
I had the pleasure of hearing Melissa Harris-Perry give the keynote address at the University of North Texas Equity and Diversity Conference, and after the past few months we’ve had, it was a much-needed ray of hope.
- For Black people, the maddening is ordinary. The evidence is everywhere, yet somehow, we don’t all see it – or refuse to see it. Grief and anger are defined as ‘trouble.’ For so many, to be hated, to be banned, is the new normal.
- Invite questions rather than answers.
- Teaching what racism is is not disallowing mean words; instead, teach about institutions, behaviors, and how to create opportunity. Focus on bad practices, not bad people.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. said that human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.
- Democracy is messy. Make a mess.